Black Bean Brownies
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
3 tbs canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (any type of flour works here though too)
2 oz baking chocolate
pinch of salt
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a food processor or with an immersion blender, puree the black beans until the are smooth and there are not lumps left.
3. In the microwave, melt the bakers chocolate with 1 tbs of the canola oil (so it melts more easily)
4. Take the black bean puree and put it into a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, and oil until smooth.
5. Stir in the brown sugar, cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt and melted bakers chocolate. Once incorporated the batter will look exactly like regular brownie batter.
6. Fold in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour into an 8x8 inch cake pan and bake for 35 minutes.
7. Let the brownies cool thoroughly before eating. I thought they were even better the morning after i made them!
Dark Chocolate- higher in healthy antioxidants, lower in sugar and saturated fats. Antioxidants are good for raising healthy cholesterol, which is great for the heart and have been proven to significantly lower risk of heart failure
Whole Wheat Flour- High in fiber, high in B1, B2, B3, E, folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and iron. Has a TON more nutrients than white flour.
Black Beans-High in protein and fiber, they contain molybdenum which helps detoxify the body, high in zinc, copper, magnesium, and contain skin-protecting antioxidants.