Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lemon, Ginger & Goji Berry Tea

I had never tried goji berries before making this recipe. I had always been kind of curious about them, but not really knowing how/ what to prepare them in, I was a little clueless. Then I stumbled upon this post online  about a goji berry tea. Hmm..well lemon ginger tea is one of my favorite things ever, so why not throw in a few gojies while I'm at it? Turns out goji berries are really yummy! To me they somehow taste like dates..in a weird sort of way. But in any case they're really good. I drink this tea when I wake up, before my coffee and breakfast etc. It feels very cleansing and refreshing. Try doubling or tripling the recipe and keeping it in a container in your fridge for the week, either drink it cold or reheat whenever you please. So if you like ginger and lemon, and want to be a goji berry convert, try this little recipe.



Lemon Ginger Goji Berry Tea (makes 2 cups)
1 Quart water
a 2-3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 lemon, cut into a few slices
handful of goji berries
Raw honey, to taste


Directions:
1. Put the quart of water into a sauce pan. Add the lemon and ginger and bring to a boil
2. Allow tea to boil until half the liquid has evaporated. This is your concentrated tea. Remove the ginger and lemon peels that remain at the bottom.
3. While still hot, add the raw honey till it is as sweet as you like.
4. Pour into a cup, add a handful of goji berries and drink when it has cooled down sufficiently. Enjoy!

Health Benefits!!
Ginger- relieves nausea and indigestion, prevents motion sickness, may help morning sickness, antispasmotic  properties help relieve cramps, useful in helping arthritis, can reduce cholesterol levels in blood, and it is an aphrodisiac ;-)
Lemons- have an alkalizing effect on the body, restoring its natural pH levels. They are rich in vitamin C, stimulate the liver to cleans itself, has vitamin P, and strengthens blood vessels. 
Goji Berries- highest concentration of protein and amino acids of any fruit on earth, their powerful antioxidant properties and polysaccharides help to boost the immune system. Boasting 15 times the amount of iron found in spinach, as well as calcium, zinc, selenium and many other important trace minerals.
Raw Honey- Raw honey has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It promotes body and digestive health, is a powerful antioxidant, strengthens the immune system, and eliminates allergies. Raw honey can also stabilize blood pressure, balance sugar levels, relieve pain, calm nerves, and it has been used to treat ulcers. Raw honey is also an expectorant and anti-inflammatory and has been known to effectively treat respiratory conditions such as bronchitis and asthma.

Sources:
http://thehealthyeatingsite.com/the-health-benefits-of-goji-berries/
The A to Z Guide to Healing Herbal Remedies, Jason Elias and Selagh Ryan Masline 
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/16-health-benefits-of-lemons.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/035493_raw_honey_health_benefits_antibacterial.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,
    I'm not sure if you're still active on your blog since there's been a lapse in posts for almost a year, but hopefully you'll be able to read this comment.
    Wanted to let you know that this tea is AMAZING!! Thanks so much for creating it and sharing it with us. I can certainly understand why you choose to drink it in the morning. Besides its health benefits, it is SO relaxing and soothing!
    I trust you're keeping well (maybe finished with your schooling now?) and I really hope that you'll continue to write more on your blog.
    Blessings and peace to you,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! Thank you for your kind words :) you're so right I have been slacking on my blog recently, but I am finally done with school and have been thinking I should get back at it! Be on the lookout for some more posts soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.for my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
    Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet began to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr God hands whom god has bleesed with ancestral herbs gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,Love spell, Hepatitis... so i make a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have being watching my health for 6 years now and I actually comfirmed that his herbal medicines are permamnent cure and I'm so happy that i came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr God hands Email: doctorgodhands@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2349057214220. if you gone through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because really honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.

    ReplyDelete