I first started making roasted chickpeas about a year and a half ago. I was really skeptical of the idea at the time, but out of my love for chickpeas, and indeed all things legume, I decided to try it out. The results were unreal. They are crunchy, and salty and healthy all at the same time! MMMM. They're awesome on their own as a snack, as additions to salads and soups...lets be real they'd be good in pretty much anything. So here's the recipe for one of my go-to power snacks.
Paprika Roasted Chickpeas
1 Tsp paprika (you can use other ground or fresh herbs..tailor this to your preferences!)
1/2 Tsp salt
sprinkle of pepper
1 Tbs olive oil
one 15 oz can of chickpeas (or about 2 cups soaked and cooked chickpeas)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Thoroughly rinse and drain the chickpeas. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Pour the chickpeas out on top so that they are evenly spaced in one layer.
4. Sprinkle olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika onto the chickpeas. Toss them with your fingers so that they are evenly coated.
5. Once again make sure that they are evenly spread out in one layer, and put them in the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring at 15 minute intervals. Once the chickpeas come out they should be nice and crunchy all the way through, so if you take them out and they're still soft throw 'em in for a few more minutes. Aaand of course, Enjoy!
Chickpeas- high in protein to keep you fuller for longer and give you long lasting energy, full of fiber, lower risk of heart disease
Paprika- warms the body and soul, anti-inflammatory, contains capscaisin to improve blood circulation, and can help neutralize stomach acids. Paprika is also surprisingly high in vitamin C.